Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Megan: So far, so good!

{C&P from my tumblr post:}


I initiated a survey through my personal blog last night (I have more followers there, and I can circulate it better) and I already have 35 responses! For the most part, people seem to spend a lot of time on tumblr and they’re pretty happy with their experience here.
I think I’m also going to ask a few people unfamiliar with tumblr to tell me what kind of impression they get from the site, what they think of it and whatnot. That may be more difficult to do but it would better help me to understand the impression tumblr makes.
Part of me wonders if the anonymity is what makes tumblr feel so spectacular to people; the anonymous option keeps identities secretive and you don’t have to reveal your personal information when you’re making the blog, and the blog can contain absolutely anything. There’s a lot of freedom to it, freedom that doesn’t exist in reality. That is why tumblr can be argued to be an augmented reality. It is a place where you can be who you want to be. You can be the person who supports others who have low self esteem; you can be the person who is artistic with graphics/edits; you can be the person who is surrounded by people who understand your love of a fandom and look to you for your insight.
The fact that so many people spend time here and depend on their blog is only further proof that we are attempting to live better lives vicariously through the text and images on a blog.


If any of you would like to help me with the latter portion (an "outsider" view of tumblr), that would be great!!

No comments:

Post a Comment